Before I start to write down my observations of my class, I would like to explain the five kinds of individual intelligence. Although I stick to the term „intelligence“, I prefer to call it development. So there are five kinds of individual intelligence or areas of personal development:
– mental intelligence (which is the most common nowadays and which is offen measured with IQ test). This intelligence considers mostly the development of the brain and our thinking.
– emotional intelligence (may be it is better to call it sensation or feeling). This intelligence corresponds to the heart and is much more important and will become in the next years even more important.
– system intelligence (called also relationship or social). This intelligence corresponds to our personal faith, as well to our faith in other people. It is crucial for our interactions with other people.
– creative intelligence. This intelligence corresponds to the soul.
– entrepreneurial intelligence. This intelligence has something to do with the will and is also very important. People who are entrepreneurial intelligent have a strong will, perseverance and diligence to succeed.
This five types of intelligence are very important and they are more or less the first step to go through. My aim as a class advisor is to go this way together, so that in the end the students are not only mentally, but also emotionally, socially, creatively and entrepreneurially intelligent.
If you look again at those five types of intelligence you can see, that they are individual. But there is also community (group or public) intelligence. It is also five types:
– social intelligence – concerns our care about our body, family, school, people, animals, plants, the whole world. Concerns mostly our everyday life.
– cultural intelligence – concern handicrafts, agriculture, literature and so on. This kind of community intelligence concerns the culture of a group and its creation.
– economical intelligence – concerns finances, work, entrepreneurship.
– political intelligence – concerns law, legal affairs, state, international affairs.
– community intelligence – this is the last, but maybe most important aspect of the group / public intelligence. It can be also called civil intelligence and concerns the civil society. According to Rudolf Steiner it is the third pillar of society together with the state and the capital. It should develop further. It includes NGOs, gatherings of people, cooperations, clubs, associations, foundations and so on.
So, till now we have 10 types of intelligence. If we manage all of them, we can go further on to the last and most important two, which I can’t call just intelligence, but development. Those are spiritual development and creation. This are the last two steps in which we will become oneness with the Creator.
Today was my third day with my new class. It was quite important, because I managed to observe the student for the first time outside the class room, in the interaction with other students.
After the first two days I already new that:
1. The class is younger than normally in the 12th grade. Most of the students are 17, some of them even 16, which means that the class is more like a 10th or 11th class in the overall development.
2. The students in the class are very smart and mentally intelligent.
This two observations are very important and explained a lot about the class. It seems that the class was not challenged enough mentally. They can learn a lot and want to do so. It will be very important to require a lot and to really challenge the class mentally, so they will be sure to cope with the exams.
On the other side, and it is very important, thereare different kinds of intelligence as we already seen. The class seems to have still to learn a lot in the areas of emotional and social intelligence. I already noticed the first two days that there are some conflicts in the class, may be most of them not even discussed. There is definitely a group which wants to learn and a group that also wants to learn, but prefers to speak and have fun, which disturbs the others. Also, the attitude towards the other students, the school and the teachers is not quite ok. This all speaks for gaps in the social and emotional intelligence. Normally exactly those are very important and well-developed in waldorf school, but not exactly in this school and in this class. So, we have to put more time and stress on the emotional and social intelligence also. That’s why I suggest to put some 1-2 extra hours a week for class meetings.
I still have to observe what is the situation with the creative and entrepreneurial intelligence in the class.
The same with the five group types of intelligence. I still have to get to know the class better. I really hope that the class is going to learn and develop a lot in this week. I am looking forward for some written experience reports about this week, which will serve also as personal reviews and learnings.